DC Comics had a ‘first of its kind’ live stream event where everything related to DC Comics from movies, TV shows, video games, comic books & more was announced and celebrated from all around the globe.
The event was initially supposed to be 24 hours long with discussion panels but has now been split and the second event will be on the 12th of September 2020, for more details on the event you can check the DC Fandome Website here.
Being avid gamers and having revealed the Suicide Squad hame announcement before, we were quite excited when not one but two games were announced at the DC digital event!
The first game announced was “Gotham Knights” being developed by WB Montreal. Rumours of “Court Of Owls” with cryptic tweets and images had been shared for the past year, so to finally get a name and know more about the game was well over due. Before dwelling deeper into all things Gotham Knight, have a look at the trailer below:
The second game announced is by Batman-obsessed video game veterans Rocksteady Studio and although it’s not another batman game, its is still an Arkham based DC Comic game called Suicide Squad: Kill The Justice league featuring the Suicide Squad facing off against a most probably mind controlled Justice League. More on that below, but have a look at the explosive teaser trailer below on all shenanigans by the anti-heroes assembled by Amanda Waller known most famously for planting bombs in the heads of the SS members and her project titled; Advanced Research Group Uniting Super-Humans (or A.R.G.U.S ).
While the games announcements do not come off as a big surprise it has been inside knowledge that the games media industry were in the know for a Suicide Squad game being developed for the past year or more. Gotham Knights on the other hand, does pose an interesting entry especially with the opening premise that Bruce Wayne aka the Dark Knight is Dead! The games focus is on the side kicks who now will forge their own path as heroes.
5 Facts About Gotham Knights
- Gotham Knights is an open world action RPG video game. Hopefully we can expect to see player stats and weapon/item upgrades as the game progresses. The game also promises to be the most interactive and alive Gotham city representation to date! From 5 boroughs to travel through, players can drop in to any as and when either the missions require or they chose to do so.
- You can play as four characters throughout the game – Batgirl, Nightwing, Red Hood, and Robin. Each character will have a unique set of abilities but as the player, the game does not limit you to select or play with any character. To elaborate, we can play as one character for the whole duration of the game or co-op with just one character online, but the game does not lock you out of content or story if the entire campaign is played solo offline.
- Gotham Knights is NOT canon to the Arkham universe of games. This gives the developers a unique and fresh take on characters and could possibly even introduce characters like Damian Wayne if they wanted to. The last part of the trailer shows members from the Court of Owls so the previous hints now match up and it seems they will be the antagonists aside from the Mr. Freeze who we saw as well. A part of the trailer also showed Robin using a device “Justice League Satellite,”which might indicate the existence of the Justice League. Whether they decide to use Easter eggs like the other Arkham games to reference Superman, Wonder Woman or actually show them, is yet to be seen!
- The game will be releasing on current-gen & next-gen somewhere around in 2021. There are no details if 60 frames per second will be targeted but the fact that it’s an open world game, the emphasis might be more on texture quality, resolution, ray tracing to provide excellent and more realistic light reflection and shadow creation.
- Batman is Dead! Although the game will focus on the Bat-family as opposed to the Dark Knight himself, it is still based on Gotham City and the world of Batman. A bit of a let down as we already have so many Batman games, but it seems Marvel’s Avenger’s or the increasing need for open world games coupled with cooperative play has pushed the direction of this game as well.
5 Fact About Suicide Squad : Kill The Justice League
- Superman is a baddie and we play as the Suicide Squad, how original or lack of? Game Journalists have been aware and we have multiple rumoured articles from 2019 like the one here hinting at a Suicide Squad but so were the rumours of a Superman game, a superhero character deemed Kryptonite himself for video games that no game studio has touched up on a lone Superman game other than portraying him as a bad guy.
How disappointing, especially when we have fantastic stories of game developers like Guerrilla games jumping from the Killzone franchise to Uncharted territory and delivering a critically lauded game such as Horizon Zero Dawn for instance! Before I continue my endless crusade for campaigning for a Superman game, we can rejoice in the fact that the latest announced Suicide Squad game will feature The Man Of Steel, although as previously depicted, once again as a baddie, most probably, from the trailers it seems, mind controlled under Braniac.
- Kill The Justice League is a continuation of the Arkham Video Game Universe unlike the Gotham Knights which is not. The game might even shed some light on the disappearance of Batman from the previous game, Batman: Arkham Knight. The game features the options of playing the whole game single player with the option of switching between characters and having the rest as bots or playing up to 4 player co op with your friends. This was confirmed by Rocksteady co-founder Sefton Hill.
- In a bit of a shocking move, the game will not released on current-gen but only for next-gen consoles such as the Playstation 5, Xbox Series X & PC as per it’s official page and is set to release sometime in 2022.
- Although the game title states kill the justice league the main antagonist seems to be Braniac, as we can see a glimpse of a giant floating octopus like head. Brainiac is easily the most high-tech of Superman’s foes. He uses advanced alien spacecraft and technology to combat Superman. In early appearances in the Silver Age comics, he had a purplish flying saucer. Since then, however, he has used a giant, green/metallic skull-shaped space ship with metallic tentacles. The most probable connection to Braniac to the Justice League is of mind controlling the league somehow.
- The characters we can play in the suicide squad are Harley Quinn (a.k.a. Dr. Harleen Quinzel), the mistress of mayhem; Deadshot (a.k.a. Floyd Lawton), the most dangerous marksman alive; Captain Boomerang (a.k.a. Digger Harkness), Aussie assassin extraordinaire; and King Shark (a.k.a. Nanaue), the demigod humanoid shark and rightful ruler of the seas. Each squad member has their own unique move set with enhanced traversal abilities to freely explore the dynamic open-world of Metropolis, along with a variety of weapons to customise and skills to master.
So far that is all the information we have on the two upcoming video games. DC’s Fancdome event was quite a rollercoaster of content with reveals for movies such as Wonder Woman 84 . Justice League Snyder Cut (He should make video games) to some of the longest running comic series from Sandman & the actual reboot of Suicide Squad The Movie.
For more information on the two games, keep checking back as we will be populating as and when more information emerges. To the Bat fans out there, rejoice, although it’s getting to the point where anything Rocksteady do is related to Batman, let’s hope Suicide Squad for one, breaks that mould and helps to usher in a new era of the fantastic heroes and villains from one of the most diverse and fantastic comic universes out there: DC Comics.